Saturday, June 18, 2022

Paws High Too

 On the way to Satvika Bhoga yesterday, we stopped at a new pet store near our home. Katrinka was looking for a leash. Bandi and I stayed with Nyoman in his bemo. There was a standup sign outside the store on the sidewalk that said "Pawsome Pet Store" and some other stuff. I rxplained to Nyoman that paws were the dog and cat feet and that the "some" ending made them into an adjective which was a play  on awesome and explained what it meant. Then we looked at the name of the store. Paws High Too. I thought and thought but told him I couldn't figure out what sort of word play that was. The intent of the name escaped me. Said I wasn't smart enough obviously to get it. Later I asked Katrinka about the store inside. She said it had unusual dog and cat food and accessories, all pretty pricey.  We talked about the strange name. I said I had seen a lot of cute names in Bali but none that didn't make sense. "It's like a store name in Japan," I said. "They'd have store names that didn't make sense. They'd just use words they liked the feeling of." And then I realize - "Japan. Of course. That store is owned or part owned by a Japanese. She looked at the leash. The design on it used strokes from hiragana and katakana, the Japanese syllabaries. And it was especially well made - sturdy materials, a clasp to connect the leash to the collar that was like the connectors that climbers use. We have a problem with our mental ones freezing up. A collar that fastens like a belt, again, less subject to not functioning well. a little ring to tie a doggy bag. The mystery was solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment