Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Drinking AC Water

I was just remembering how our prior landlord got into collecting water from air conditioners in his units. He'd leave five gallon white buckets, like paint buckets for the drain hose from the air conditioners to empty into. When they got full, he'd dump them into a water tank. He did this because he'd read that water from air conditioners was pure and good to drink. He showed me an article on the Internet about it. So since then I've thought that that was a good idea. We don't use AC much so I haven't thought of doing it here. So I just remembered that and did a web search and - uh oh - found this:

Water collected from an air conditioner is condensation pulled from the air inside your home. It should never be ingested, and is not safe to drink, as it contains traces of impurities found in the air in your home, including chemicals and heavy metals. For a number of reasons, drinking water collected from an air conditioner is not a safe proposition. - from Home Steady, a site on HVAC (heating, ventilation, and AC)

So not only now will I not think again about collecting the water from AC, but I'll also stop breathing the air inside which I just learned has "traces of impurities found in the air in your home, including chemicals and heavy metals." - dc

No comments:

Post a Comment